1981 CJ7 Restoration - 2020.05.03

Some more decent weather, so I got to work on getting some chassis black on the brake caliper anchor plates and the transfer case housing. I cleaned up the parts and applied Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I'm not sure how much I believe in this product. Each time I've used it I've been super unimpressed with its durability. It seems to rub off quite easily. Hopefully it's much more resilient with the Extreme Chassis Black top coat.

Front brake caliper anchor plates finished with gloss Extreme Chassis Black.


At left, the transfer case housing coated with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. At right, a couple top coats of Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black (gloss) applied.

When removing the intermediate shaft of the transfer case, some really crud-covered rusty tags were taken off. I cleaned them up with a wire hand brush and soaked them in Mastercoat Rust Converter for a couple of days. This stuff is probably like Evaporust, but supposedly better - it came with the kit I bought and seems to do a good job. It not only dissolved and converted the rust, but it peeled the old paint and grime off. I then coated the tags with Extreme Chassis Black.

Serial number tag on the left - I'm not sure what the right one is.


Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In