1981 CJ7 Restoration - 2020.04.12

I had mentioned in an earlier post that I purchased a set of brass brushes that work with a Dremel tool. Below are the types of brushes I got, 20 each of the 3 different types and man, I'm glad I got the 60-pack. These brushes don't last very long and really suffer as you increase the RPMs of the Dremel tool. Eye protection is a must and I highly recommend wearing a hat. Once the brush starts to fall apart, tiny little brass bristles go flying everywhere.

Brass Dremel tool brushes.


A short video of the Dremel tool work I was doing. Took some time, but I got it done. Not ideal, but I don't have access to a bead blaster or vapor honing setup.

After getting the transmission cleaned up, I saw some interesting markings. I'm not sure what any of this means, but I'm sure there are reasons and explanations for why they are there and what they mean. I'll save that research project for another day.

Interesting markings and numbers on the gearbox housing.

Once I felt I had brushed off most, if not all, of the crud and oxidation, I blasted everything with brake parts cleaner. You'll notice that my locking hub bodies are there - they need to be primed too, so might as well knock it all out in one shot.

Masking everything off for priming, then painting later.


After a few light coats of self-etching primer, things are looking pretty good.


Main gearbox housing primed and ready to be painted.

Good progress today. I was tempted to rush into getting the transmission reassembled, but it just didn't feel right. I think prepping and priming with all the major pieces apart is the way to go - that way you're not spray painting over bolts and and stuff.


Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In