1981 CJ7 Restoration - 2020.04.08

After several rounds of spraying degreaser, scrubbing with wire hand brushes and trying to loosen the crud with a steam cleaner, I tried a new solution - brass brushes on a Dremel tool to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Coupled with more degreaser and patience, this turned out to be the best path forward to get the adapter housing and shifter platform clean. It's not perfect, but I believe I can get the surfaces clean enough to prime, paint and clear coat.

The next task is to get the main transmission housing cleaned up, which is much larger and quite dirty. I hope I have enough of these little brass brushes, as they fall apart after a few minutes of use. I got a variety pack of 60 brushes.

After an hour or so with a steam cleaner and a lot of citrus degreaser, then nylon and brass end brushes on a Dremel tool - looks much better, but still have some work to do.

The results on the adapter housing and shifter platform are promising, however, the main gearbox housing is much bigger and has some strange hard to reach areas that I'll need to figure out.


Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In