1981 CJ7 Restoration - 2019.10.20

Keeping the momentum going with sealing and painting drivetrain/brake parts, I coated the drum brake backing plates and installed the wheel cylinders. The grade 8 bolts are overkill, but I like the look. Torqued them to 25 lb-ft as specified in the service manual.

Nice and shiny, but had to clean up some of the holes as the multiple coatings adds dimension to the parts.

I also decided to tackle the Dana 30 differential removal. One can see in the following photos that the bearing caps and housing are well marked to show which parts go where to maintain the proper orientation and preload on the bearings.

People say that you can get the differential out of the housing without the use of a case spreader, but I decided to get one. I figured it was cheap insurance and would make the job easier. Even with the case spread a few thousandths of an inch, it was still some work to get the gears out of there. I can't imagine what it would be like without the spreader, and I'd imagine that getting the differential back in would be extremely difficult. Forgot to take pictures of the process, but I got it out damage-free.

Inside the Dana 30 front axle. Orientation of the bearing caps is nicely marked by the J's and the last two photos show the orientation of spacers for bearing preload.


Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In