1981 CJ7 Restoration - 2019.10.19

As tempting as it was to purchase new parts to save myself the time and effort to wire wheel and seal/paint them, the list of parts started to really add up cost-wise. So, I decided to restore them myself using a wire wheel attached to an angle grinder. It's amazing how effective this simple setup is. It's not as elegant and thorough as media blasting, but I don't have, nor want that setup at home.

The pieces I'm working on today are bump stop brackets, parking brake hardware, body supports and the transmission mount/torque bar.

Another reason I took this on myself was the fact that it's very hard to find some of these parts now. Surplus parts for a 38 year-old Jeep should be pretty easy to find, but no one stocks everything, so the more original parts I can use the better.

Clockwise from top-left: bump stop brackets, rear body supports, transmission mount/torque bar and parking brake hardware. Very rusty and nasty.


After some quality time with the wire wheel, the parts cleaned up quite nicely.


A couple coats of Eastwood Rust Sealer spray were applied.

I was rather pleased with how well the wire wheel worked. It's a lot of effort, but it's great to have the parts restored and ready to go. I didn't take photos of the finished product, but I applied a couple coats of Eastwood gloss black Rust Encapsulator. The Eastwood products are convenient since they come in spray cans. However, I find the Mastercoat system to be much more durable, but it's kind of hard to apply and costs more for the volume used. Also, if you don't use much of it, you're stuck with a lot of excess that goes bad in a few months after air/moisture exposure.

Another nice thing, the only one I had to wait on is me. Sometimes this type of metal prep work can take weeks to get the parts back, which would've been maddening.


Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In